· If you are caring for someone who relies on you, you may be worried about what might happen to them if you were suddenly unable to support them
· There are a number of things you can do to plan ahead for this
How do I plan for an emergency?
· If the person you are caring for is receiving other support from us, you will have a Support Planin place.
· A good Support Plan should include contingencies for what needs to happen in an emergency, and the member of staff working with you will normally want this information to be included before the Support Plan is signed off.
· If you think you should update your Support Plan, you can do this yourself, or you can contact us to ask for help with this.
· You can also download our Carer’s Mini Booklet (143 kb .pdf)which is small enough to keep with you and includes lots of useful telephone numbers and space for you to write your own useful / emergency numbers. Alternatively, you can contact us to ask for a copy to be sent to you.
If you provide unpaid care or support to someone who lives in Leicestershire, this scheme gives you peace of mind that, should something happen to you or you have an emergency, the person you care for will still receive help and support in your absence.
How does it work?
Once you have been assessed by the local authority as being eligible for the scheme, you will receive support with planning for emergencies as well as a Carer’s Emergency Response Card. This is the size of a credit card so you will be able to carry it around with you.
If something should happen that means you are unable to provide regular support to your loved one/friend, then Housing 21will organise support detailed in your individual emergency plan on your behalf. Alternatively, we will directly provide support to the individual until alternative arrangements can be made. This can be for up to 48 hours (72 hours over a bank holiday weekend). You or someone on your behalf will just call the number on the card, and we will arrange everything for you.
What are the benefits for Carers?
· Carers feel more supported
· Carers are less anxious about going out
· Carers have peace of mind that their situation is understood
· You can contact us 24 hours a day
· It has been developed at the request of carers; it is consumer led
· It is a quality, cost effective partnership initiative working with many organisations across Leicestershire
Does the scheme cost anything?
· There is no cost to you or the person you provide care or support for.