Text Size:
High contrast:
  • White/Black
  • Standard

Current Style: Standard

Needing Assessment

Needing Assessment:

General Info – County Council

Assessment for Longer Term Support

·    What is this?

·    Assessment

·    Eligibility

·    Funding your support

·    Self assessment

·    Contact information

·    Related links

·    Easy read version of this page

What is this?

For longer term support:

·    We will work with you to do an assessment, usually in your own home

·    The assessment is to work out what your support needs are and to find out what you want to achieve

·    We will check if you are eligiblefor support.

·    If you are not eligible, we may still be able to help you in other ways

·    If you are eligible, we will tell you roughly how much money might need to be spent on supporting you - this is called your indicative 'Personal Budget'

·    We will also need to work out if you will have to pay towards the cost of your support, by doing a financial assessment

·    Find out what you can expect of usor what we expect of youwhen we are doing your assessment


If you think you need support longer term to help you live life to the full, a trained member of staff will help you to work out which areas of your life you need support with.  The assessment will usually be in your own home and will be done in a way that fully involves you.  You will be encouraged to think about what you want to achieve and what support you might need to help you.  We call the things you want to achieve 'My Outcomes'.  The assessment also includes checking on your eligibilityfor support.

If you have children, or other important people in your life, and it is appropriate, we would like to involve them in the assessment, but it is up to you whether or not that happens.  The assessment will take account of your individual needs (for example, ethnic and cultural background), and, if you need us to, we will provide help in your first language.

You will receive a written copy of the assessment.  You can tell us if you do not agree with any part of your assessment for longer term support and we will look at this with you.

If you are still not happy, we also have a Compliments, Comments and Complaints service that you can contact.


After the assessment, the member of staff helping you will be able to tell you whether you are eligible for support from the Council.

If you are not eligible there may be other ways we can help and these will be discussed with you.  More information about eligibility.

Funding your Support

If you are eligible we will tell you approximately how much money it might be appropriate to spend on your support so that you can think about what services you want to buy.  We call this your indicative Personal Budgetand it is based on the information in your assessment.

We will also need to work out whether you will have to pay towards the cost of your support and we will contact you to carry out a financial assessment.

Self assessment

·    In the future we are planning to make it possible for people to carry out a self assessment.

Contact information

·    Contact us to ask for an assessment for longer term support.

·    Contact details for Adult Social Care

Related links

·    Assessment for Carers

·    Assessment for simple or shorter term support

·    Assessment for equipment and adaptations

·    Support Options



Local Offices


Mental Health Teams


Customer Services